Sunday 9 August 2015

Carso-wrong

I never work on a Sunday, if you even dare to call design work. it is merely play with elements until it fulfills the brief. (wow that sounded professional) Not like this; below is a photo from my recently rediscovered college notes and there is a cross next to the name David Carson. The man who gave us Beach Culture, Surfer and Raygun and is the father of Grunge type. Sigh, Older James frowns of College James.

A photo posted by James Alexander Reay (@jamuggins) on
A study of some of the ideas and structures behind David Carson's work in the books "the End of Print" and "Out of Control" (a Chemical Brothers reference?), led me to this some how. I was using quotes from the books and re-purposing them into simple typographic posters but the quote I had was not working so I changed it. I changed it to a line from the great song "Some Kind of Nothingness by the ever great Manic street preachers and to a line sung by Ian McCulloch. To be fair this is really bad design practice but I wasn't gonna fight with something I am gaining nothing from.

& it works. That's the main thing I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment