Monday 2 March 2015

Soul Bass

 Do you like Soul music? of course you do. Do you like Saul Bass? Well I think that you should. if not hand your head in shame. If you have never studied either, read this and then fly my pretties and spread your wings and discover.

I have fused the two in the pieces below. The top one is my favourite posters I have ever made. Motown has played a big part in my life since I bought "Dancing in the street" a two CD compilation of the hits from "Hitsville USA" at the age of 13/14. I could not stop listening to it and it is now one of my Favourite genres. mainly just soul in general having since discovered Stax and the work of Otis Redding as well as Aretha Franklin.

I made these on saturday morning while watching a documentary on Joy Division. as you do. I only really learnt about Saul Bass at college and Uni and found the true meaning of simplistic beauty. Which is something I tried to encapsulate below.



No comments:

Post a Comment