Monday 6 February 2017

Space Cats from outta Space!

Despite never seeing any B movies (I wish had given how much I hate the comic book movie trend) I really love the artwork that accompanies them. A lot the time these things are painted by hand but bare no resemblance to the actual movie itself. You could paint a scarier monster than the one a prop designer could make with the tools they had.

 However Hollywood with massive budgets and CGI tend to produce the most bland and uninspired posters for movies. Here is photo of the people who are in it accompanied by captions for the actors name. There are exceptions, Star Wars has and always will have (I hope) painted posters, the they make everyone look like they are sitting awkwardly on a giant in viable cloud but it much more interesting than The Martian a film set on the baton environment that is Mars and all we see is Matt Damon's face. 

Why am I telling you this ? Well I think one of my new design projects looks like it could of been a movie call When Cats attack! Or Space Cats from outta Space! I received a press shot of a band called Avalanche Party and it was long and not very tall and how do you use a photo like that. Thankfully sitting on the end was a cat, an innocent looking cat. So I took a close crop of the cat. Halftoned it because it didn't look good quality. Then I had a doodle on it and suddenly I'd given the cat lasers on its eyes. So attempted a redraw of the laser beams (they were off kilter) and it looked great. I added the typography and sent it off with another poster using the whole press shot. 

Thankfully the poster was accepted and I danced around the living room. Weeks later I made it a gif and a week later it sold out.



No comments:

Post a Comment