Wednesday 23 December 2015

Wednesday's Weekly Write Down; JCC

 An ode to the bard of Salford. JCC, is a talent. A true original. Poetry at the speed of light. With wit as sharp as a nail. He leaves everyone in his set to fail. You can copy this man and it will be obvious, your not as good as his royal highness. I am not sure why I am writing this but to tell you people the good word of John Cooper Clarke. Poetry without pretension. Writing as an outsider, what do you think of the human race.

Far from the 3 chord wonders of punk made him the true punk. A bare voice. Nothing to hide behind. No chords to help you guide where this is going. No melody to carry the message. Words mouth to ear. Words on Sci Fi, words on death, words on love, words till he runs out of breath. This man ranks among one of the best lyricists/poets in popular culture. Poetry was a high art, until it married a monster from out of space, thanks to JCC. Bringing it to punks and then the masses rather than the cultured few. Like the beat poets before him; it mattered how it was said, not simply how it was read.

I am have little authority as a designer to do reviews on areas I have little knowledge of, but he is my favourite poet and one of my favourite people in general terms (never met the bloke as with everyone on this imaginary list inside my list, but he's just someone you'd expect to be awesome). Although I have seen him live. It would be hard to choose a poem to end this rant on but here it goes

No comments:

Post a Comment