Thursday 11 February 2016

Thursday Thoughts; The F Word

 Not that one the other one.
Now I know what you are thinking; "oooo a leftie male student talking about feminism, how typical!" And you'd be right, I am running low on subjects that are within range or stuff I know a little bit about. The reason I wanted to address the F word is for a number of reasons really. It is said every so often at uni and thrown around like a taboo or buzz word or worse a buzz taboo.

My understanding of the F word is that is is all about female empowerment and women to be to be equal to men in pay, in powerful positions and just in general. But surely, is equality for all not a better system? There will be places where men don't equate to women so just make a level playing field.

When I look in a shop window in town I see a man who could never be me and I imagine a girl walking next to me ( not with me, I haven't got a girlfriend silly) would see a women she could never be or want to be even. But which one gets talked about more? I am never gonna get a six, four or a two pack unless they are from the off license. So why do I see it.

When people say there aren't enough women in engineering or manual labour jobs; have these people considered that women might not want to do them sorts of jobs? Just generally or for fear they will be stereo typed into being the women in a boiler suit for one of those Lads calender's. *shivers*  the same with the care sector, schooling or nursing, men might not want to do them jobs for the stereotype of if you are a nurse and a man you must be gay. It's rubbish.

You see what I am saying people. Equality for all not just for women. There is pressure on both sides to look great, get the right job and be successful. I am evaluating this objectively because I have learnt not to let the dominant culture get the better of me. I just want to be me.

No comments:

Post a Comment